Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My brain has an itch....

Well, Dr. Crisp, Calleigh's neurologist, called me yesterday to let me know that their was seizure activity identified during her four hour EEG on May 7th. He told me that it was up to Chris and I whether or not we wanted to put her on an anti-seizure medication. So I called Calleigh's developmental pediatrician, Dr. Organ, and left him a message yesterday and he called me back today. As soon as he got my message yesterday, he called Dr. Crisp's office and requested a copy of the EEG results. Dr. Organ called me today and explained things a little bit better (not that Dr. Crisp wouldn't have, but he wanted us to make a decision on the meds so that we could make an appointment with him so we could discuss results, meds, etc...). Dr. Organ told me that Calleigh was having SUB CLINICAL SEIZURES. I could not find a website I liked to direct you to, so here is a definition from one of the sites...
Sub clinical seizures
Sub clinical seizures occur when there is epileptic activity in the brain, but no clearly defined evidence of a seizure.
Dr. Organ said that she is having these sub clinical seizures frequently and to explain them in layman's terms...they are like an itch on the brain and we are not sure what it is really affecting. He said that putting her on an anti-seizure medication would result in more gains than losses and it may be trial and error until we can find something that works for Calleigh, but if it was his daughter, he would do it. Anti-seizure medication can be a "wake up" for some kiddos. After a seizure, most go into a postictal state- which is an altered state of consciousness. The postictal state can be different for everyone. After Calleigh's Febrile seizures, she seemed completely unconsciousness, but with the sub clinical seizures it could be when she closes her eyes real tight for a few seconds, or how she dazes off into space or when she wakes up in the middle of the night crying, but is not truly awake. Dr. Organ has not confirmed any of these ideas, but these are things that Chris and I have thought of as possible seizure/postictal states. There is just so much information...I hope this explains what is going on in her little brain!
Chris and I have decided to go ahead with the anti-seizure medication. I have a call in to Cal's neurologist and we are waiting for his secretary to call us back for an appointment. This is not a big deal, just part of Cal's life!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What med did they decide to use? Our neuro. explained the same thing to us about Juliana, except he used these words. She has an abnormal EEG (brain wave activity) even though there is no clinical evidence of seizures that corespond with the abnormal EEG. Juliana has been on Lamictal now for about three years and seizure free! So, I agree, it's good to treat the itch before it becomes a big scratch! :o)