Hey there everyone. Last night the kids and I drove to Waco for Auntie Deirdre's graduation from Texas State Technical College (she is now officially a Registered Dental Assistant!). We were really excited to be there and see her walk across the stage. Calleigh had visited her neurologist earlier in the day and had a low grade fever, but seemed to be doing ok, so I decided that taking her out would be just fine. The graduation had started and the keynote speaker was called up. I was holding Calleigh in my arms when all of a sudden all of her limbs got very tight. She started convulsing, shaking and drooling. Her eyes went completely lifeless and I realized what was happening...she was having a seizure. I looked at Shane (Deirdre's hubby) and was hysterical. I was screaming "she is having a seizure!" I was calling her name, trying to get her to snap out of it. Thank God that Shane was there! He scooped her up out of my arms and ran out of the seating area and down the stairs. He held her through the remainder of the seizure (which lasted about 3 minutes) while I called 911. I have to tell y'all that I have seen seizures before, but this was the scariest thing I have ever seen in my whole life. Cal and I went by ambulance to Hillcrest Baptist Memorial where they diagnosed the seizure as a Febrile Seizure (please click on Febrile seizure if you would like to learn more). These types of seizures are brought on by fevers of 102 or higher, are quite common and normally last one to two minutes. Calleigh did have a fever of 102.1 when we arrived at the emergency room. The docs there did some blood tests and took an x-ray of her chest. The x-ray showed that she has the onset of pneumonia. They released Calleigh last night and gave her an antibiotic. We have a follow up today with her pediatricians wife (she is also a doctor-obviously! and works the Family Clinic on the weekends) at 140 this afternoon. I just want to thank everyone who called last night and sent their prayers, we appreciate it so much. Chris and I are just so thankful that it doesn't look like this is going to be a regular thing, however she will be monitored very closely and she will be having another MRI very soon. Of course I will keep you updated! Oh yeah I almost forgot... We are so proud of you Deirdre!!! Congrats!
Saturday, April 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Febrile seizures are REALLY scary. Caleb got them when he was the same age as Calleigh. It only happened a few times in one day, but that was SUCH a horrible day!!!!!! Anyways, I hope you do not have to go through that again!
~Paloma~
MY LITTLE PRINCESS....I about had a heart attack when you called me from the ambulance! I am glad that she is ok though! I love and miss you guys and I wish that we were there! XOXOXOXOX
Auntie Kim
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Caden had a febrile seizure when he was about 6 weeks old and then another when he was 6 months old. So I can understand your fear. Thankfully she was able to get good care and get everything taken care of, to include the onset of pneumonia. Hopefully she is doing better. Take care of that little princess!
Post a Comment